Electrical Fires May Help You Avoid One In Your Home
Fires involving electrical failures or malfunctions accounted for the highest share of civilian deaths (18%) and direct property damage (20%). This is according to a National Fire Protection Association report that was done in 2019.
Home electrical fires can start in wiring, electrical distribution systems, and lighting equipment, as well as in any equipment powered by electricity such as cooking, heating, office and entertainment equipment, washers and dryers, as well as electrical distribution or lighting equipment.
If you own an older home, it's important that you have your outlets and wiring checked. Aging electrical systems in older homes can be a source of arc faults, either through normal wear and tear or because the systems cannot accommodate the greater demands of modern appliances.
We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
Fire Research Information Might Help To Keep Your Family Safe
More than one-quarter of the reported fires occurred in home environments, according to the National Fire Protection Association. They have also researched specific causes.
Most home fires and fire casualties result from five causes: cooking, heating equipment, electrical distribution and lighting equipment, intentional fire setting, and smoking materials.
Here are some tips to help avoid some of these causes:
Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.
If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a "kid-free zone" of 3 feet around the stove.
Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
Smoke outside and completely stub out butts in an ashtray or a can filled with sand.
Soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before throwing them away.
Never toss hot cigarette butts or ashes in the trash can.
Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used, even if it is turned off.
Oxygen can be explosive and makes fire burn hotter and faster.
Be alert - don’t smoke in bed! If you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy, put your cigarette out first.
Electrical and Appliance Safety
Frayed wires can cause fires.
Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet.
Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
We are ready to help when you have fire damage